A Professional Learning Opportunity for VET teachers who deliver VDSS to Victorian Government secondary school students
The Department of Education and Training in collaboration with the VET Development Centre (VDC) has developed an exciting industry engagement opportunity for teachers providing VET Delivered to School Students (VDSS) in Victorian Government schools.
Industry Connect is a new professional learning program for VET teachers and trainers working in Victorian Government schools to enhance their industry skills, knowledge, and professional networks. Dependent on the individual’s industry currency needs, a menu of options is available to help them retain their industry currency and meet RTO standards. This program aims to support teachers that may be required to update their skills and knowledge and validate their level of competency.
Industry Connect includes 5 key components:
- An online Professional Learning Community to support VET Teachers and Trainers to connect with each other and navigate industry trends and delivering VET within the school context
- Industry Led Forums for each of the VET core offering priority and flexible pathways. These will be approximately 2.5 hours and offered in a hybrid delivery model
- Masterclasses supported by industry experts for each of the VET core offering priority and flexible pathways. These will be approximately 8 hours and offered in a hybrid delivery model where possible.
- Professional Industry Relationships is a tailored coaching and mentoring program to support industry currency and will be for approximately 10 hours.
- Virtual Teaching & Learning Conference 17-18 November. This year’s theme Re-Emerging will focus on life skills and practical strategies and will enable participants to embrace the exciting future of VET.
The Firth Review recommended that all students should have access to a ‘core offering’ of VDSS certificates aligned to growth sectors and local industry needs. Industry Connect will concentrate on the 'core offering' which comprises 12 VET pathways in the following industry areas.
- Priority Pathways: Health, Community Services & Early Childhood Education, Building and Construction,
Digital Media and Technologies, Hospitality and Engineering
- Flexible Pathways: Automotive, Agriculture and Environment, Hair and Beauty, Creative Industries, Sport and Recreation and Business.
To find out more about the core offering, please click here.
Am I eligible?
To register for the program, you must teach VDSS to Victorian Government school students. This includes VET Teachers (who hold a teaching degree and TAE40116) or VET Trainers (who hold TAE40116 and have Permission To Teach (PTT) in a Victorian Government secondary school or an auspice agreement with a Registered Training Organisation). VET Coordinators are also encouraged to participate in the program.
What Should I enrol in?
VET teachers and trainers will benefit from attending those activities of the Industry Connect Program that meet their specific learning and industry currency needs.
To explore opportunities for professional learning and updating and maintaining your industry currency by participating in Industry Connect, please register for the Industry Connect Program and contact your RTO for the latest trainer competency matrix, to assist in understanding your specific industry and training needs.
Casual Relief Teachers (CRT) backfill and program hours:
CRT is available to VET teachers, trainers and coordinators working in Victorian Government schools. Industry Connect sessions will be held on various weekdays and will be scheduled between the hours of 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. during the school term. CRT is available for the equivalent of two days per semester.
Registrations for the Industry Connect Program are open from Monday 23 May. Participants will then gain access to the PLC where they can begin to review their learning and industry currency needs. Completing the Trainer Matrix and understanding RTO expectations will assist with the selection of the most suitable activities. The ICP will run for the remainder of 2022 and Semesters 1 and 2 in 2023. CRT Claims can be submitted to DET. (Please note, RTO teachers with an auspice agreement with Government Secondary Schools are not eligible for CRT.)
VET Teachers and trainers can undertake the Industry Connect Program over multiple semesters. If the course is undertaken over two semesters, CRT is available for the entire program. VET Teachers and trainers may also choose to attend sessions in more than one industry area and can attend all sessions related to their vocational delivery over three semesters.
Course Information and Registration
Once you have registered your interest you will be sent a confirmation email and link to join the Industry Connect induction webinar on 19 July 2022 from 12.30pm – 1.30pm.
VDC will confirm your eligibility and once approved by DET, you will be given access to Canvas. Through Canvas you will be able to enroll in the Industry Connect components detailed below. You may choose to enrol in all components or just a selection.